What Next?

We understand that following a death of a close relative or friend that you will be experiencing feelings of shock, sadness and bewilderment. You may feel confused and unsure who to turn to or what to do next. Understanding the procedures following a death can help relieve the burden of worry and anxiety. We're here to help you from the moment you need us.

What to do when someone dies at home

If a death occurs in a nursing home, the doctor must be notified. They will sign a death certificate and allow the removal of the deceased to take place. At White Rose Funeral Service, we are on call 24 hours a day to bring your loved one in to our care.

What to do when someone dies in hospital


If a death occurs in hospital, a doctor who has been present will sign the certificate. Please contact us and I will make an appoint to visit you to make the funeral arrangements. If a doctor is unable to issue a certificate, the Coroner will be notified. They may order a post mortem or an inquest (if necessary). Until the Coroner has given permission for a funeral to take place, you still can make all of the necessary arrangements in preparation.

A death must be registered in the district in which it occurred, normally within 5 days, and before the funeral can take place. For further information, please visit the "what to do after someone dies" government web page.

Registering a death


When a death occurs, this will need to be registered with a registrar. The following people can register the death:-

  • A close relative of the person who has died

  • A relative in attendance during last illness

  • A relative living in the district where the death occurred

  • A person present at the time of death

  • The person arranging the funeral

Documents required by the Registrar
  • Medical certificate of cause of death
  • National Health Service medical card
  • Birth Certificate
  • Marriage certificate/civil partnership certificates



Information required by the Registrar


  • The persons full name at the time of death

  • Any previous names including maiden names

  • Date and place of birth

  • The occupation of the person who has died

  • Details of surviving spouse/civil partner

  • If they were receiving state pension or benefits

Documents given to you by the Registrar

Once all of the required information has been given to the Registrar, they will give you the following documents:-

  • A Death Certificate
  • Registrar’s Certificate for Burial or Cremation. This is a green form and gives permission for the body to be buried or application for cremation to be made.
  • A Certificate of Registration of Death, issued for Social Security purposes if the person received a state pension. You must complete this and return it to the Pensions Department (if necessary).